Lang Park


Lang Park has been a major subject of conversation throughout the planning process. One of the big issues was the General Lloyd Tilghman statue. At a public meeting held in the neighborhood on June 26, 2006, the attendees were split on whether or not to move the statue to another location or keep the statue in the center of the park. Since that meeting, several discussions and public comments have been made for both sides. At this time no final decisions have been made and the statue will remain in place until a community decision is rendered at a later date.

The image below shows the last preferred concept that incorporates many of the ideas brought out in the design charettes. The idea is that park will be enhanced with walking trails and a few additional amenities, but still largely remain a neighborhood park with passive, open recreation space. Future public meetings will be scheduled to discuss final design issues in the park. For more information, please contact the Paducah Parks Department at (270) 444-8508.

Lang Park Concept

 

History of Lang Park

The circular park on Fountain Avenue became the first public park within the City limits. This park was named Lang Park in honor of Mayor James M. Lang (1897-1901). Dominating the circular Lang Park on Fountain Avenue is a bronze statue of General Lloyd Tilghman, a Confederate Civil War hero from Paducah. The general is dressed in full field uniform, with top boots, leather gauntlets and field glasses. The statue was cast under the supervision of Eugene Gargani at Greenspoint, New York. The stone base was furnished by the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the statue was paid for by General Tilghman’s children. After the statue was unveiled on May 15, 1909, a local writer stated, “The subject is interpreted with such truth and breath, in such an original and distinct style, that it has been pronounced as one of the finest portrait statues in America.” Of course, the statue faces south.